An SK Production: I Remember.

Chapter 6: L-O-V-E, its not mine




"I disagree! Nella is the hottest girl in our school."
"No!! She might be the hottest girl to the other guys but so what? I don't like her."
"How can you not like her? She's the hottest girl in the school!"
"Just because all the guys in our school likes her, doesn't mean that I have to like her too."
"Then you definitely aren't a guy."
"What's the meaning of that?!!"
"You're a girl?"
"Nonsense!!"
"Then give me a valid reason why you don't think she's hot and why don't you like her?"
"Because.. Because..."
"Because what?"
"Because I think that you're hotter than her!"
An awkward silence passed by between the both of us.
I was struck dumb at his sentence.
What could I possibly say...?
"Then again, you're not really that pretty."
"You asshole!!"
"Hahahahahaha..."

At that point of time, I was just an innocent little girl.
One who had never known what love really was.
I was naive, to think that he was hitting on me.
His eyes were not on me, his eyes were on my best friend.
I was merely nothing, but a pawn on his chessboard. A simple chesspiece.
His ultimate aim was the queen, Nella.

"......."
"Charlie..? You there?"
"Yeah."
"Whats with the silence?"
"I'm just thinking.."
"Thinking about?"
"Can I have Nella's number?"
"Woah.. Whats with the sudden want for her number?"
"Just want to have her number. Can I have it, please..?"
"I don't know.. I have to ask her first."
"Oh come on Vera! It's not like I'm going to do anything bad. Give it to me please?"
"You promise me that you're not going to SMS her or anything?"
"Nope, I'm not going to SMS her. I promise."
"Alright alright.. I'll send it to you later."
"Thank you Vera!! You're the best!!"
"Yeah yeah... What a rare compliment."

I should have suspected something by then.
The phone conversations were sufficient proof that something was up.
Yet, I pushed all my doubts and questions away. I shoved them to the back of my head.
I refused to acknowledge the truth. I didn't want to face the truth.
I was a coward.

"You!! You idiot!! You moron!! You asshole!! What did you promise me?!?!"
"What?! What did I do??"
"You promise me that you were not going to SMS her!!"
"Oh.. That.. It was just a harmless SMS. No big deal."
"So what?!?! You lied to me!!"
"Okay okay, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. Forgive me please?"
"No!"
"Please... Please Vera please.. I'm really sorry..."
"Humph!"
"Forgive me please....."
"Oh alright alright. You're such an ass."
"You're the best Vera!!"

I'm the best. I agree with that.
The best moron in the world that there could ever be.
I was helpless. Trapped and twined in between his fingers.
I could have stretched my legs out and taken flight.
I could have escaped that devil.
Yet I was foolish enough to stand there and not do anything at all.
I was a complete fool.

"Charlie? Why haven't you been replying my SMSes lately?"
"Well.. I was busy..."
"Oh.."
"Vera.."
"Yeah Charlie?"
"You're my best friend right?"
"Uh huh.."
"I wanna tell you something.."
"Hmm..?"
"I think I like Nella."
"Wha..?!"
"Can you help me woo her?"
"WHAT?!?!??!?!"
"Please?"
"What the heck are you thinking man?! Are you insane?!"
"I really really like her Vera. Help me please.."
"You're nuts."
"Please Vera, please.. I'm begging you.."
"Be realistic Charlie!!"
"Please... Please Vera.. Please..."
"I tell you! Even if you do manage to get her, you'll just get hurt in the end."
"I don't care. All I know is that I like her."
"That's my point! You like her. LIKE! It isn't love Charlie."
"I. Don't. Care."
"I don't want to see you get hurt.."
"I won't. Really."
"You will."
"Even if I do, its none of your business! Now, will you help me or not?!"

He spat out the last line.
Even though we were talking through the phone,
I could feel the force of his words, thrown upon me.
I could not reject him. I had to help him. I didn't have a choice.
Or is it?
Is it really that I hadn't had a choice,
or was it that I had refuse to even think about my second option?
That must be the case.
Afterall, I was a coward, I was a fool.

With my help, Charlie did manage to get the girl he wanted.
But as I predicted, they wouldn't last.
Infatuation. It wasn't a lasting affair. It was a temporal affair.
Nella broke up with Charlie,
leaving him with a devastating heartblow.
Leaving me, a mess to clear up.

Nella was gone, so Charlie turned his attention back upon me.
I was delighted with his sudden interest in me again.
Never had I thought that I was being played around like a Barbie doll.
When you want the doll, you took it out to play,
when you didn't want the doll anymore,
you simply throw it aside, keeping it out of your view.
That was how things were.
Charlie was using me to heal his wounds, while inflicting a wound upon me.
If only I could have seen all these sooner, then perhaps.....
I would not have been so badly bruised.

"Vera!"
"Hey Charlie, whats up?"
"Nothing. I just called because I miss you. I wanted to hear your voice."
"Yeah yeah, like real."
"Really! You sound really nice today, your voice is like a wind chime."
"Oh, shut up!"
"Alright alright... So how was your day today?"
............
And so the flirtation went on.
It seemed so sweet then,
but now, as I think about it again,
disgust surge through my body and I've got every urge to throw up.
I was beyond hope, but Charlie was beyond hell.

-To Be Continued-

No comments