The Daily Roundup Café

The Daily Roundup
#01-02, 1 Keong Saik Rd, Singapore 089109

Contact: 6338 8035
Opening hours: (Weekdays) 8am to 9.30pm, (Weekends) 9am to 9.30pm
Website: http://www.thedailyroundup.com.sg/

Smoked Salmon Savoury Galette ($14), with Papa Palheta's Cold Brew Coffee ($7)
"Scottish smoked salmon, capers, crumbled hardboiled egg, homemade crème fraîche with cream cheese"

Complète Savoury Galette ($14), with seasonal cold pressed juice ($7)
"Artisan ham, French Comté cheese, egg sunny side up"

Rating: 3.5/5

My two cents:

I first chanced upon The Daily Roundup on a fine Saturday morning at about 9.45am.

I was desperate for a café that would be opened at such early hours on a weekend morning. FYI, most cafés at Outram open at 11am on weekends.

Boy was I glad when I heard the staff's reply, "Yeah we're opened! Come on in!"

After selecting a glass of their fresh cold pressed juice, I chose a spot by the windows and settled down with my book. For the next 2 hours, I sipped on their refreshing combination of grape, cucumber and mint, and read Dale Carnegie's writing in peace. The solitude was heavenly.

In between my reading breaks, I people-watched food-watched. The crêpes that the other diners had... they looked amazing!

Two weeks later, my cousin and I made a special trip to The Daily Roundup for breakfast. I raved about the crêpes to him and got him excited too! Unfortunately, the looks were there but not the taste. I guess it was my fault for having high expectations.

My cousin had the Smoked Salmon Galette, whereas I had the Complète Galette.

His comment on his crêpe was that it was too plain, had a lack of taste, and they could have been more generous with the toppings which would have added more flavour to the dish.

My crêpe, on the other hand, was overdone. It was burnt. I tried finding parts where it might taste normal, but I couldn't find any. At least the parts which had the ham tasted slightly better. Perhaps my crêpe was overdone as I had asked for my egg to be thoroughly cooked. That still shouldn't be an excuse for a burnt crêpe, right?

What a shame. I had high hopes for it.

Nonetheless I love the atmosphere of the café and I agree that their juice is fresh and invigorating. I will return again for more of their juices and to give their sweet crêpes a go!

No comments