Stripping Down Naked

Don't worry. There is no nudity pictures in this entry.

Nor will there ever be actually.

Or at least, none of the pictures will ever be of me. I'm not evil enough to burn any of your eyes or leave a scarring impression of me on you through such means. I'm far too shy *blush*

Anyway if the title of this post is not direct enough, what I aim to talk about today is...

HONESTY.

This topic came about because I was interested in taking part in a contest held by MyFatPocket and I had to share why is it that I would like to be a blogger with MFP and what would I have to offer as their blogger then?

For almost a month.. I stared at a blank page. I have written and deleted several drafts, and that reverted me back to square one. I guess this would be what they term as "a writer's block".

If only it was that simple...

Ever since I decided to take blogging more seriously, I have been struggling to find the "right" category that suits my blog, and the "right" materials to blog about.

My blog is a lifestyle blog. Do you know how many lifestyle blogs there are on the internet? There are countless.

It is hard to stand out among the crowd, especially since the internet is pretty much international.

I have googled "how to be a successful blogger" and most of the tips given state that to be a successful blogger, one will have better luck if he/she ventures into more than one blogging category (ie. lifestyle/beauty blog, or lifestyle/food blog, travel/food blog) and writes unique stuff that little or no one has written before.

The tips that they have given is right. Their suggestions are good. However it is easier said than done, or at least that is the case for me.

I have tried to include my blog into other blogging categories. I have tried beauty, I have tried food.. Out of the list, these are the ones which I am most comfortable and familiar with. Unfortunately I have to be honest and say that those 2 blogging categories are not working out. Sure, I can blog about them every once in awhile, but the focus of my blog is still on the experiences of my life.

Now here is another thing which I have to be honest about, most people who blog about their life either have a very interesting life or a very boring life. In my opinion, my life sorta falls into the latter.

Here are the 7 reasons why I think my life is boring:

  1. I don't travel every 2 weeks or during every holiday that I have.
  2. I am not some fancy rich kid who have tons of pocket money to spend on branded goods and michelin-star restaurants (Exaggerating a little but you get the gist)
  3. I am not THE popular + pretty girl in school (I never was and still am not)
  4. I am not model-thin and frankly, I have weight management issues (I love food too much! You cannot pull me away from it!)
  5. I am not one of those book-smart kids in school who finds exams to be a piece of cake and is constantly scoring 'A's in all the class tests. (Studying sucks)
  6. I have yet to discover any extraordinary talent that is in any form of art in myself (be it drawing, music or dancing).
  7. I don't know any of the latest seasonal fashion trends. (Don't watch fashion runway shows nor read fashion magazines, sorry)

And here are the 7 reasons why I use the words "sorta boring":

  1. I don't travel every 2 weeks or less, but I do travel occasionally. I love travelling and one of my life dream is to travel around the globe and visit as many places as I can before my bones become ashes.
    Pic taken from my instagram

  2. I may not have a big fat wallet, but I do love to shop and eat good food. Hence I am often out looking for great discount/sales places to shop at, and "hidden" eateries that serve great food at a reasonable/cheap price (click 'here' to read my experience with Liberty @ 247)
  3. I am no model but as a girl, I have my own fair share of vanity. I guess my vanity is the worst when I have a front-facing camera and I manage to figure out how to keep on putting the best side of my face forward for the day lol!

  4. I have no talent in art whatsoever, but I am good at nail art. I love nail art. From the looks of it to the confidence that it brings to me. I haven't gotten around to sharing my nail art creations on a constant basis because I haven't been painting regularly, but I am looking into that. I stopped focusing on nail art for quite a while because of my busy school schedule, and I realised that I really missed doing nail art because it helped to set my mood/fashion theme for the week, plus it doubled up as an accessory as well.
    Some of the nail art creations that I did over the years

  5. I may not be book smart but I make up for it by being street smart.

    Quoting from Scott Berkun,

    "There is no doubt in my mind street smarts kicks book smarts ass. To be street smart means you have situational awareness. You can assess the environment you are in, who is in it, and what the available angles are. Being on the street, or in the trenches, or whatever low to the ground metaphor you prefer, requires you learn to trust your own judgment about people and what matters. This skill, regardless of where you develop it, is of great value everywhere in life regardless of how far from the streets you are.

    Most important perhaps, being street smart comes from experience. It means you’ve learned how to take what has happened to you, good or bad, think about it, and learn to improve from it. The prime distinction between street smarts and book smarts is who is at the center of the knowledge. On the street, it’s you. In a book it’s you trying to absorb someone elses take on the world, and however amazing the writer is, you are at best one degree removed from the actual experience. Street smarts means you’ve put yourself at risk and survived. Or thrived. Or have scars. You’ve been tested and have a bank of courage to depend on when you are tested again. Being street smart can lead to book smarts as the street smart sense what works and what doesn’t, and adapt accordingly.

    Book smarts, as I’ve framed it, means someone who is good at following the rules. These are people who get straight A’s, sit in the front, and perhaps enjoy crossword puzzles. They like things that have singular right answers. They like to believe the volume, and precision, of their knowledge can somehow compensate for their lack of experience applying it in the real world. Thinking about things has value, but imagining how you will handle a tough situation is a world away from actually being in one (As Tyler Durden says in Fight Club – “How much can you know about yourself if you’ve never been in a fight?”)."
    Just for the kick of it: "Street smart kicks book smarts ass"
    #hahaha #notbooksallthetimeyo

  6. My dressing style is all over the place.I don't know nor follow the latest fashion trends, but it isn't like I dress shabby either. Some days I prefer dressing more casual, other days would be more k-pop inspired, or more preppy... it really depends. But if there is one kind of dressing that I will never go into, it would be rock/gothic. It's too dark for my taste. So I take it that being able to dress flexibly is a good thing as it would mean that I am not limited to just one kind of fashion style!


  7. Lastly, if you haven't gotten irritated reading my writing so far and you think that it is rather decent, then I suppose I can take credit for it and say that blogging is my talent, because other than that.. I really have no talent whatsoever. #sosadtosaythisbutitstruefornow

I'm not the atypical blogger whom everyone envies and coos over. My life is not THAT fantastic, but I know that it will be someday because I am dreaming for it and working towards it. For now I am just an ordinary Singapore girl who hates being ordinary. I love anything unique, rare and outstanding. I hate having what everyone has. I hate living the typical Singapore life. I refuse to have a 9-5 job someday.

I am a free spirit - I love having control over my own time. I dream of having a job made just for me - it's unique and it enables me to be the best at what I am good at (blogging, yes?). I dream of touring the world someday, I dream of living in a big and fancy "smart house" mansion, I dream of owning a huge walk-in wardrobe that is filled with clothes, accessories, shoes and bags for every occasion. I know that I'm a dreamer.


I dream big stuff. And they say that...


You can read this as a mindless girl who is superficial and materialistic. But with a little twist of mindset, you can also read it as a lady who knows what she wants in her life. She knows how she wants to live her life, she knows what she wants in her future, she knows that it seems dreamy and unrealistic, but she'd rather die having tried to achieve the future that she pictures.

Back to the topic of what I can offer as a blogger.. I can offer honesty that I am not perfect, I am not completely sure about life and I'm still figuring out, I have yet to discover my talent and everyone else around me already has and knows where they want to go and has found what they want to do in their life. What I can also offer is a process. The process of my life. It can be an example of reference for others, an encouragement (I hope?) and perhaps an inspiration.

Ending off with a cool note:





Hearts,
Soph <3

No comments