Roasted Delights @ Foong Kee Coffeeshop


Foong Kee Coffeeshop
6 Keong Saik Rd, Singapore 089114

Contact: 9181 1451
Opening hours: 11am to 7pm
Nearest MRT: Outram

3 varieties of roasted meat (roast duck, crispy roast pork, char siew) with 2 plates of white rice,
and a bowl of wanton soup

Rating: 2.7/5

My two cents:

Amidst all the cafes on Keong Saik Road, you will find a coffeeshop with only one stall in it, selling various types of roasted meats and wanton noodles/soup. The distinct fragrance of the roasted meats can be smelled from afar and in visual terms, a steady crowd of customers were going in and out of the coffeeshop all the time — both were what drew me to have my lunch there.

I don't expect much decor from a coffeeshop but I do expect a decent standard of cleanliness. On the table where I sat, there were the remaining plates and bowls from the previous TWO rounds of customers who sat there (ie. I was the third round). Only after a second request then did a staff finally clear all the insightful cutleries away.

As for the service received... I guess it made sense to not receive a top notch service since there was no service charge paid. However an amiable attitude would have been nice so as to leave a good impression and to convince their customers that this stall is worth coming back to. There was also no need to brutally shove a customer aside, bang hard against the customer's shoulder without an apology and to rudely ignore a polite request for some braised sauce to go with the roasted meat.

To be fair to the food, the char siew was good and is the only thing that I would recommend to order. The roasted meat was a disappointment as it lacked in crisp and flavour. The duck meat was tasty but dry, and that made it hard to chew, swallow and appreciate. The wantons in the wanton soup were filled with more water chestnut than meat; I suppose the purpose of it was to give a crunchy texture to the dumplings — if you are a fan of crunchy wantons, this would be the perfect place for you.

Now for the price of all the food you see above, I paid $20 in total (inclusive of the drinks). Here is a breakdown of the cost as explained to me by the staff:
  • 3-varieties roasted meat for two pax: $14
  • Wanton soup: $3
  • Rice: $0.50 per bowl ($1 paid)
  • Drinks: $1 per can ($2 paid)

If I had enjoyed my food, I wouldn't have mind paying 14 bucks for it. However I didn't and thus I do mind.

No comments