It's that time of the year again

It's MY busy period of the year again. Having clinical attachment now.

Unfortunately due to confidentiality issues, I am not allowed to disclose where I am currently having my clinical attachment... however there isn't a clause that says I am not allowed to say that I FINALLY GOT THE CLINICAL PLACEMENT OF MY DREAM!!!!!!!!

Maybe I will disclose it one day.... Like a few years after I graduate or something. It's not like I have anything bad to say about it or what! If there is anything that I have to say, it would be how good it is to finally be serving my attachment at the placement of my dreams and how awesome it feels!!!

Ok I shall not continue rubbing salt into the wounds of people who unfortunately did not get the placement of their choice and is currently having a really stressful and unenjoyable time at their placement area. (This also goes out to those people who are currently serving their internship)

Basically, Health Science students term their internship as "clinical attachment". It is actually the same thing. I don't know why Health Science students in Singapore need to be 'special'. I know that the Singapore medical students (ie. students studying to be doctors) term theirs as internship. Why are we the odd ones out???


Anyway, a really short and really quick update!!

This is the first time that I have had dinner outside with Rod since I came back from Taiwan. I've pretty much been nua-ing (meaning: slacking) at home since my return because Taiwan drained more energy out of me than what I had initially presumed and planned.

In early 2013, I went for a class lunch with my poly classmates at Yishun's Swensens. I love and missed their baked mussels, and so I have been wanting to go back to Swensen's since then to have their delectable baked mussels.

Oh I can tell you a whole story about how yummy mussels are when they are baked with some herbs, garlic and cheese... My mouth is already watering just with me talking about it right now.

Think I shall go to the nearest supermarket soon to buy some mussels and cook them myself at home! I shall also sauteed up some fresh white/brown button mushrooms to go with the mussels, and to top it off with a nice glass of Moscato! #reallyknowhowtoenjoylife #partofmy2014resolutionlist


Last night, I decided to attend to my craving and so I went for dinner at Tampines Mall's Swensens. It was an incredibly bad decision because the food was edible but terrible.

If anything, at least the food looked presentable enough for photography purposes.

First up, Bruschetta (pronounched 'brusketta') . Which was incredulously soggy.

The first bite wasn't too bad but after that.. it was bad. The tomato topping was tasteless and it definitely lacked of a certain seductive ability to make you wanna order another plate. I could not taste the balsamic vinegar. Ok wait, it wasn't tasteless at all. It tasted of ONIONS. Every single bite tasted of onions.

I know, you can't see the onions right? Neither could I initially. But there are indeed little potent bits of onion which ruined the entire taste of the bruschetta. If it isn't obvious enough, I am disappointed. I never thought anyone could ever go THAT wrong with such a simple dish.


Deep fried blue mussels

Apparently a new dish on their menu? I couldn't find the good ol' baked mussels. I don't understand why they switched it to this horrible deep fried dish. No seriously, it is incredibly bad.

To start it off, it is such a hassle to eat this dish. Because of the thick layer of flour coating on top, I could not simply pull the mussel meat off from its shell using my fork. I had to use MY HANDS to pull off the extremely thick layer of flour to get to the mussel meat. 3 words: WHAT A MESS!

Also, I don't know what happened in the kitchen but the first mussel that I ate... I had a nasty surprise installed for me. There were lots of bits of shell in the mussel meat. I don't mean the gap between the layer of flour and the mussel meat. I seriously mean IN THE MUSSEL MEAT!

I took my first bite of the mussel and.. I bit into my first bit of shell. I thought it was an accident so I simply pulled that bit out of my mouth and tried to continue chewing. Then I bit into my second bit of shell, and then I felt it with my tongue.. lots of bits of shell. I took out the mussel meat from my mouth to examine and it was so weird. There were almost 10 bits of tiny shell pieces in the mussel meat. It looked as if someone was fooling around in the kitchen and put all that bits into the mussel.

I couldn't be bothered to complain because it was just that ONE mussel and I had had enough of the horrible food and wanted to get out of there ASAP.

In case you're wondering what I did with the rest of the mussels, I packed it to-go. After I reached Rod's home and got hungry, I took the mussels out, pulled out the thick coat of flour from every mussel, chopped up some garlic, mixed it with butter, placed it atop the mussels and placed them neatly in a pot (a pot because Rod ran out of Aluminium foil at home and so I couldn't use the oven).

It tasted better than the nasty deep fried version. Urrgh!


American Cheeseburger Pizza

This dish tasted the best amongst them all, but I feel conned by this dish.

Why?

Simply because...

On the menu, it looked like there were so many toppings on the pizza!!!

Just look at the one I had!!! It's measly!!!!

Nothing more to add. One word: Cheated


Crabmeat Baked Rice

This dish broke my heart too. It looked so appetizing in the menu, but when it was served to me.. I felt so devastated and in shock. I'll let you compare it yourself.

This is what it looks like on the menu:


Which looks entirely different from what I was presented. Then again, okay.. I get that pictures in the menu are just pictures and they are merely for illustration purposes to give us a better understanding of what the dish is like.

Fine then, what about the words? It wrote there "savory rice, smothered with lusciously creamy sauce".

The one I had was D-R-Y

For every bite of the baked rice I had, I drank half a cup of water because it was just sooooooooooo DRY!!!!

I had such a hard time eating it that I didn't even bother to attempt to finish it. I left the restaurant with 2/3 of the baked rice remaining.

Yes I feel guilty for wasting food but I really really really couldn't take another bite. It was just so horribly dry and hard to eat and hard to swallow. I felt like I was tormenting myself for every bite I took. I swear upon that last sentence. It is honestly that bad.

I actually ordered another appetiser... Cream of Mushroom. I didn't bothered to take any pictures of it though because it wasn't photogenic enough plus it was made out of button mushrooms that came from a can. The taste was mediocre.

Oh well, I've been warned before. Swensens serve mediocre food.

If you are ever looking for good food from Swensens, try their outlet at Yishun. I find it to be more promising!

And that concludes my Saturday dinner.

Back to Monday again tomorrow!

No comments