Boyfriend

"If I was your boyfriend, I’d never let you go. I can take you places you ain't never been before. Baby, take a chance or you’ll never ever know. I got money in my hands that I’d really like to blow, swag, swag, swag, on you. Chilling by the fire while we eating fondue, I don't know about me but I know about you.So say hello to falsetto in three, two, swag. I’d like to be everything you want. Hey girl, let me talk to you..If I was your boyfriend, never let you go, keep you on my arm girl, you’d never be alone. I can be a gentleman, anything you want. If I was your boyfriend, I’d never let you go, I’d never let you go.."

As Ally walked home from the train station, that section of the song which he sang to her, was stuck in her head and it kept going round and round her mind. He spent his Saturday at her place. He brought his guitar over and some work to do while she studied. They played his guitar and sang some songs when they got bored of doing their work, had dinner with her parents, talked a little and downloaded their favourite shows. Time flew and soon, it was 11pm. Ally could remember the scene as though it happened just a minute ago. She hadn't preserved it deliberately. Somehow, it just got stuck there..

There he sat on her bed, with his guitar in his lap. Ally sat on her chair, her nail clipper in one hand, his hand in another. She clipped at his nails carefully. When she was done with that, she took out her cuticle cream and rubbed them at the sides of his nails. He stared at her intently as she worked her way around his fingers, giving an occasional response when she nagged him to drop his bad habit of biting his nails. Ally finished rubbing the cream on his last finger, checked her phone for the timing and realised that it was time for him to leave her place for home, or he would miss the last bus back. While she kept her nail clipper and her cuticle cream, with her back facing towards him, she nagged him to keep his things and prepare to leave. When she turned around, he was still there, sitting on her bed, with his guitar in his lap.

"What are you doing? Pack up your guitar. You're going to be late!"
"Let me sing you one more song. Just one more song."
"But then..."
"One more song, please..?"
"Okay okay.."

Ally was anxious. She didn't want him to have to take a cab home again.He strummed a couple of shaky chords on his guitar. Stopped and fidgeted a little. Grabbed his phone, tapped on the guitar application, looked up a song, and then hurriedly put his phone away before she could see more of what he was doing. He took a deep breath, looked at her, then at his guitar and he started playing.

As he sang, Ally looked at him dumbfounded. She knew that she was smiling like a fool but she could not resist it. It was not a smile that she could fight to suppress. In her mind, she couldn't deny that the lyrics were mushy, yet incredibly sweet. She made a mental note to tell him that at the end of the song. His voice faded gradually as he came to the end of the lyrics and he strummed the last few keys to the song. As he was singing, he looked at her a couple of times, and then turned away out of shyness. Now he looked at her, while she still had that silly wide smile on her face.

"So.. would be my girlfriend?"
"HUH?" Ally thought that she had heard wrongly. She stared at him in shock. As obvious as the song was, Ally hadn't given a single thought to it as he sang. She assumed that it was just another one of his ways of doting on her. She was very much, surprised.
"Would you be my girlfriend?" He could no longer hold the look between them. He looked down at his guitar. She could see that he was nervous, yet he was smiling. She raised her hands and cupped his face in them. She leaned forward such that her face was only an inch away from his.
She whispered softly. "Look at me."
He raised his head and did as told.
"Yes.. A million times, yes." He smiled widely.
And they sealed the official start of their relationship with a kiss.

No comments